02 March 2009

swallow it down

Many of you know that there was a day in the not-so-distant past when I put a ton of time and energy into starting a business. A retail business focusing on natural and organic bath, body and cosmetics. However, due to many contributing factors, that business never came to be. I have, however, harbored a lot of passion and attraction for this type of business. I really wish I could have done it three years back!

Which is why I'm both SUPER excited and not just a little jealous to tell others about a new retailer on the prowl. Housed in the still relatively new Ecotique on Grand Ave (right by the Lexington-end Caribou Coffee and the cutest little shoe shop called Shu), the Nature of Beauty has recently opened its doors. They're featuring cosmetics, skin care, hair care, baby and a number of other categories of product culled together with a firm adherence to some simple values: no bad for you ingredients, no animal testing, and a wonderful operational policy that keeps them greener than green. Primarily an e-tailer, they have an outpost in Ecotique - a great concept that allows for some physical presence without having to staff or stock an entire store. I won't say I didn't consider that very idea myself! It's a great way for a startup particularly to get going, economically and greenly (hmm, now I'm making up words too). I think it makes such sense for retailers to combine efforts when they can. Collaboration is my middle name!

I share this with you for a couple of reasons. One, I have a undying love for entrepreneurs, particularly women, and want to support their efforts. Sure, there are other places to buy these types of products but why not support the our local chicks if we can? Two, I can't help but support the foray into green business. This is the wave of our future and I'm BIG on it. Three, I'm all about providing information...and if that information just happens to intersect with someone getting their hands on a great new lipgloss, well, that is the burden I must carry.

Speaking of, I am dying to try this product: Lip Delivery Nutritional from Intelligent Nutrients. You remember our friend Horst? After divesting himself of the salons and the Aveda brand, he's still busy making fantastic products right here in MN. This one looks particularly num and, as the site alludes, when you think about how much lippie we consume (ick-worthy, yes, but where on earth did you think your lipgloss was running off to?), it makes an awful lot of sense to ensure it's made of things that won't do harm.

If that's not enough, there are a ton of resources to be found within their site. Check out the Press page, and blog. Thanks NOB! Can't wait to give this fresh sprout the ol' college try.

No comments:

Post a Comment