17 March 2009

happy green day!

I found an Irish proverb that roughly translates to "Your feet will bring you to where your heart is." I like that, it speaks to me. Sort of lines up with my thinking these days: first, you are where you are, no sense fretting about it. Second, you are completely in control of the choices that take you forward - towards happiness, health, prosperity, whatever. Likewise, you're also in control of the choices that take you towards discontent - in whatever form it manifests itself. It's a frustrating truth. But it's one of which I repeatedly remind myself. Giving away my happiness to someone or something outside of my own little locus of control has never worked well for me. I try very hard to set my heart on a path of positivity, gratitude and well being even when my situation and surroundings may be conspiring to dirty my rose colored glasses. Particularly, especially, specifically when things around me aren't what I'd consider optimal.

The next step is to will my feet into action - taking those steps down the path to where my heart is. Certainly this is a more difficult task if the first portion of the exercise isn't successful. For me, this is a constant struggle but also a choice that I make each day when I get up. Does that mean I'm happy and upbeat each day? Emphatic no. I flounder around, unsettled and unaware for days sometimes. But setting these intentions in front of me reminds me of my goals and gives me yet another opportunity to choose a path towards my own version of happiness.

Your path is paved with your own goals, intentions, dreams. What are they? Are your actions today leading you closer or further away from your heart? What kinds of reminders or signposts help keep you on the path and moving forward? From where do you seek inspiration? Strength? Guidance?

I have found these signposts in so many places, small and large. Sometimes it's enough for me to read an inspiring piece about a clutter free bathroom and my happy cleaning side kicks in. Or taking a walk and stretching my legs helps motivate me toward another walk, and a more sensible dinner that night. The effect is undoubtedly cumulative, as well. Once you start paying attention to and caring for one facet of your life, the snowball starts rolling. I love this part!

My path has a few milestones, sure. But taking away hard numbers or dates or destinations, I can see my path having some common themes. For me, they are:
  • a revived attention to the well-being of myself and our planet
  • physical activity and strength
  • a peaceful, organized home
  • simplicity in more areas of my life
  • having enough money to be comfortable
  • work that fuels my creativity and passions

I figure, focus on the big concepts and take the steps down to bite sized pieces. Otherwise it's all too overwhelming. Deep breath, take a step. Deep breath, one more step. Next thing you know, another signpost is in sight.

So on that note - Slainte! to all and enjoy the wearing o' the green today. Much to celebrate in our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment