13 February 2009

queen of vintage

Adding to my disdain for the late winter drag, signs of spring are starting to pop up everywhere. Granted, not the signs we really love: tree buds, fresh grass, the first tulips fighting their way through the thin remnants of snow. Instead, we're bombarded by spring clothing hitting the racks, fresh colors in every retail store in the mall, and even the Food Network is featuring citrusy deliciousness. It's a conspiricy! For my mom and I, the first hints of spring arrive in the form of...you guessed it...SALES! Garage sales, estate sales, and before long, yard sales.

Because, you see, mom & I have a little vintage resale business that we feed. And maybe a little bit of a "sale-ing" itch that demands to be scratched. Chicken, egg, what have you.

About 8 years ago, while laid off and between jobs, I started going to sales with my mom during the spring and summer months. Shabby Chic was getting hot in California then and I kept saying things like, "All it needs is a coat of white paint! So easy! People would buy this!" And the next thing you knew, her garage was full of furniture and accessories, she filed the relevant paperwork, I got out my paint gun and we were in business. Over the years, she's been running this sweet little operation and getting some help from me, despite the fact that I periodically had to return to gainfully employed status. Such a bother.

We started out having a sale or two ourselves, borrowing garages in hot neighborhoods and eventually partnering up with a couple of ladies who were having occasional sales in their cute little barn in Oakdale. We created some hype and did pretty well. We started selling to local retailers. Then mom decided to take the full retail plunge and signed on the dotted line for a spot at a local antiques/vintage shop. Bringing us to today and we are just getting her set up in a second shop! It's been a wild ride.

I'll be posting some pictures here as the blog develops and show off some of the nifty mid-century vintage goods that she's now specializing in...the fact is, the design of these lovelies is über-fresh and modern looking. Just right for so many of today's homes. Since moving into my somewhat modern and industrial-tinged loft 3 years ago, I have loved having some of her amazing finds as part of my ever-revolving décor.

Tomorrow we're kicking off our spring sale-ing. Personally I'm hoping for some fun kitchen items in a disgustingly beautiful shade of yellow. Bring me that sun.


Green Tip: At the end of the day, buying vintage is one of the greeniest things you can do. Stylish recycling! Not to mention the very fashionable prices.




Come visit Pretty Things, located in:
1817 Selby Ave.
(corner of Selby and Fairview)

453 W. 7th Street
(same side of the street as Cossettas, heading west from the Xcel Center)

We've also been known to sell on eBay (id: prettythingsshop) and will be back on there again soon. If you want to see something mildly entertaining, check out the eBay Guide I wrote a couple of years back about packaging things for shipment. I rocked the packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment