13 February 2009

live rich

Downshifting. Right sizing. Lifestyle change. Living an authentic life. Call it what you will, it's been on our minds. The economy is sporting a big black eye and everyone is feeling the headache. I have found it interesting these past months to read what's being written in the media these about how people and businesses are being impacted by the recession, layoffs, foreclosures, etc. And how many are taking this as an opportunity to look more deeply at their lives and their work. In some cases, tough economic times are bringing about very positive changes. To me (and because I'm experiencing this very phenomenon first hand), it's starts with gratitude. And looking around you and seeing what's really important. And then acting from a place of strength, not fear.

I personally made some headway into a pretty big lifestyle change 3 years ago when I bought an 1100 square foot loft and moved downtown. After visiting Europe a few times, I really embraced the way that they lived: a much smaller footprint and making smart use of every single inch; striving for green habits at home, in hotels, even in large factories; valuing a slower pace and social time, particularly around meals; walking and making use of public transportation. Those Europeans just seemed so damned smart to me. Sophisticated in their simplicity. Much cooler and healthier than we Americans in our bloated, oversized lives. It felt to me, in Europe, there was much less excess. That felt good.

I haven’t perfected the smaller lifestyle yet, but I’m learning. Those were my first steps, and I’m looking forward to taking a few more. I’m thinking a lot about what my next life phase will look like. I’m thinking of cleaning out my office. I’m thinking about organic food and juicers and walking more. I'm thinking about those I love and who feed my soul. I’m thinking about my true passions. And I'm petrified about what the next few months will bring, but I'm so ready. And I'm so excited for the possibilities!

Even if you’re not contemplating a major lifestyle shift, there are some wonderful lessons to be learned here. This isn’t rocket science and clearly I’m not the first person to mention them. But all the reading that I’ve done lately about charting your own course has led me to think pretty intently about a few things. Everyone does this their own way but here’s my short list:

  • Be grateful every single day – regardless of your situation, there are always things to be grateful for. Finding even the small things can help bring about that elusive perspective. I’m a big fan of those “gratitude lists” – every day, 10 things you are grateful for. Or a big list of 100 things.
  • Dig deep and learn your truth – your own truth. Not your parents’ or your partner’s or even that “truth” you’ve been carrying around about being an employee or a spouse or a parent. What’s your authentic self telling you about what’s important to you now?
  • Figure out what you really want your life to look like, now and in the future – I mean, sit down and envision how a day will go. How are you going to work today to make that happen? Steering away from your truth will not help you get there.
  • Focus your resources on moving the ball. It can be overwhelming, to say the least, to contemplate big life changes. So, like any good project manager would advise, just break them down a little bit. Cross a few things off your list. But keep moving forward.
  • Live rich. I read an article the other day about couples who run restaurants together. One couple talked about their success and said “We’re not rich, but we have a rich life.” I can’t think of a better way to life.

Some of my life and business inspirations come from reading these fabulous authors: Martha Beck, Dr. Andrew Weil, Oprah, Michael Gerber.

No comments:

Post a Comment