10 April 2009

hip hop yum

Easter is upon us! This is one of those holidays I love not because I have a strong religious affiliation (I don't) but because, to me, Easter is the perfect embodiment of spring. Spring, glorious spring! The weather is finally warming here (50-55F) and the past weeks of me pretending that spring is here seem to be behind me. My blossoming quince branches are in full bloom, my spring cleaning is nearly finished (tomorrow is the day), I have developed an almost unhealthy fascination with eggs lately, and I have been getting out to walk nearly every day. It's really feeling like spring!

One of my favorite rituals this time of year is setting the menu for Easter brunch. As I mentioned, we're not celebrating Easter the way that many others are but we do gather family (genetic and chosen) and spend time in the kitchen, on the deck, playing games and generally hanging out and enjoying each other. This year I think we'll have 5 or 6 people here, which is a lovely size for this hostess. Not too crazy, not too fussy but still allows me to bust out the pretty napkins and entertain. Perfect!

I'm still nailing down the menu but I think this is how it's going to go:
  • pork tenderloin (will either be: spice rubbed, herb marinated or smoky chipotle marinated)
  • my mac & cheese
  • perhaps something to do with salmon?
  • roasted asparagus
  • some sort of salad, thinking
  • lemon-tinged angelfood cake with raspberry sauce & mango sorbet
  • chickpea dip (also with lemon)
  • perhaps the chef's snow peas with sesame/miso sauce

There will also be early/late appetizers (I bought stuff to make the absolutely FANTASTIC pâté from Bon Appétit...again...we're all addicted to it) and plenty of vino to go around. Cheers to spring, friends, family, food and enjoying each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment